Child First Aid Course For Infant / Child Care Providers (SRFAC-ECDA)
By the end of the course, learners will have the relevant knowledge and application skills in First Aid to apply during an emergency or accident for children (1-8 years of age) and infants (less than 1 year of age) at home or in school.
1. Explain the duties and responsibilities of First Aider
2. Check and pack contents of First Aid Box
3. Apply first aid to child and infant casualties
4. Manage a medical emergency
5. Identify common accidents requiring first aid treatment
Module 1: Principles and practices of first aid
- Definition, Aims, Roles/Limitations of a First Aider, Universal Precautions, First Aid Kit Contents and Maintenance
Module 2: Management of medical emergencies
- Primary Survey (DRSABC), Secondary Survey (SAMPLE) & Recovery Position, Monitoring the Casualty (AVPU), Records & Reporting System
Module 3: Wounds, bleeding and shock
- Bleeding, Shock, Types of Wounds, Management of bites and stings, Allergic Reaction, Principles and Techniques in Applying Bandages for Bleeding Wounds
Module 4: Fractures and soft tissues injuries
- Types of Fractures, Sprains, Strains, Dislocations, Management of Fractures and Soft Tissues Injuries, Practical Immobilisation and Bandaging for Fractures and Dislocations
Module 5: Heat disorders and other common medical conditions
- Heat disorders (Heat cramps, Heat exhaustion, Heat stroke), Hypothermia, Abdominal Pain, Vomiting and Diarrhoea, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
Module 6: Eye injuries, bites and stings
- Eye Injuries, Practical bandaging for eye injuries
Module 7: Burn injuries
- Burns Depth and Severity of Burns, Classification and Treatment of Burns
Module 8: Breathing difficulties in child & infant
- Child & Infant Foreign Body Airway Obstruction (Conscious Choking to Unconscious Choking), Asthma, Suffocation, Drowning
Module 9: The unconscious child
- Head/Spinal injuries, Fits, Fainting, Low Blood Sugar (Diabetic emergencies), Shaken Baby Syndrome, Headaches
Module 10: Infant and Child CPR
- Theory of CPR, Chain of survival, Practical Performance of CPR
Lecture/Practical - 1 Facilitator : 12 Learners
P1. We highly recommend individuals to have attained at least secondary two education or level 5 of ESS Workplace Literacy and Numeracy.
P2. Must be physically fit and able to render help to another individual during an emergency.
P3. Medically fit with no pre-existing medical conditions such as knee, spinal or joints injury. Learners with medical problems, such as bronchial asthma, any upper respiratory tract infection, orthopedic problems (e.g. slipped disc), are encouraged to consult their own doctors before attending the course. In case of doubt, please consult your doctor first and produce a Letter/Memo to indicate if fit for training.
P4. Pregnant ladies are discouraged from undertaking the CPR practice due to safety reasons. In case of doubt, please consult your doctor first and produce a Letter/Memo to indicate if fit for training. You are advised to defer taking the course to at least 6 weeks after delivery.
A1. Learners would need to fulfil 100% course attendance in order to be eligible for the assessments.
A2. Assessment Outline:
(i) Written Assessment (Up to 3 attempts to pass)
- 50 Multiple Choice Questions (80% to pass, 40/50)
(ii) Practical Assessment (Up to 3 attempts to pass)
- Wound Bandaging (1 Bleeding and 1 Fracture)
- Adult Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation + AED (Adult CPR+AED) + (5 cycles of CPR 30:2 within 2 minutes using Quality CPR strip rhythm testing according to SRFAC)
- Adult Foreign Body Airway Obstruction (Adult FBAO)
- Infant Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (Infant CPR)
- Infant Foreign Body Airway Obstruction (Infant FBAO)
- Use of Tourniquet, MDI with Spacer & EpiPen
C1. This course is accredited by the Singapore Resuscitation and First Aid Council for the Early Childhood Development Agency.
C2. A credit card-sized certificate with 2 years validity will be issued upon successful completion by attaining Competent.
For Non-Company Sponsored Participants
- SkillsFuture Credits available. Eligibility criteria applies.
Course Code: CRS-N-0014967
To find out more about the SkillsFuture Credit: https://www.myskillsfuture.sg/content/portal/en/training-exchange/course-landing.html
Course Code: CRS-N-0014967